I lie awake at night in my one bedroom apartment. It's almost pitch black, the streetlights keep a faint spooky glow to my room, casting shadows that look like a small child's monster fantasies looming in the darkness. The clock on the night stand says 3 AM. I look over at the empty space beside me, where my boyfriend of five months should be sleeping peacefully. Two nights ago we had a huge fight, and currently he is staying with a friend. We are both too stubborn to apologize. I get up out of my creaky bed to go to the kitchen to get some water for my aching throat. I fumble around the dark kitchen until a find a glass and the sink. I turn to go back to bed and in my rush, I trip over a out-of-place chair that was in the doorway. The glass cup shattered into hundreds of pieces on the wood floor, tearing up my face and hands leaving them bloody. I moan and roll over. I am forgetful at times, but I knew that I hadn't left that chair in the doorway. I slowly get up, careful not to step in any glass. I hear a faint knock on my door.
No comments:
Post a Comment